c. upward and inward flow
d. upward and outward flow
295: Which publication offers information on Great Lakes ice services?
306: You are aboard a single-screw vessel with a right-handed propeller. The vessel is dead in the water and the rudder is amidships. If you reverse your engine you would expect your vessel to __________.
314: "Avast" means __________.
- a. Light List volume VII
b. U.S. Coast Pilot #6
- c. Marine Weather Log
- d. National Weather Service, Ice Outlooks
315: A vessel must have one approved ring life buoy on board if its length is over how many feet?
- a. let go
- b. pull
- c. slack off
319: Static electricity may be built up by the __________.
- a. 6 feet
- b. 16 feet
c. 26 feet
- d. 36 feet
- a. flow of petroleum through pipes
- b. spraying or splashing of petroleum
- c. settling of solids or water in petroleum
d. All of the above
- 324: A "chock" is a __________.
- 1077: A current will develop between areas of different density in ocean waters. If you face in the same direction the current is flowing, the water of __________.
- 1077: A vessel's KG is determined by __________.
- 1080: The "inner bottom" is the __________.
- a. compartment between the tank top and shell of the vessel
- b. inner side of the vessel's shell
- c. space between two transverse bottom frames
d. tank top
- 1085: A chart position enclosed by a semi-circle is a(n) __________.
- 1096: With the passage of an occluded front the temperature __________.
- 1097: The velocity of a rotary tidal current will be decreased when the Moon is __________.
- a. All options
- c. full
- d. new
- 109: BOTH INTERNATIONAL & INLAND Vessel "A" is overtaking vessel "B" as shown. Vessel "B" is an air-cushion vessel operating in the nondisplacement mode. In addition to a steady white light which other light will vessel "A" observe on vessel "B"? (Show Picture))
- a. Flashing red light
- b. Flashing white light
c. Flashing yellow light
- d. Steady green light
- 10: What is the definition of transverse metacenter?
- 1106: On small passenger vessels, when may a flexible hose be used in gasoline or diesel fuel lines?
- 1109: You are on course 146°T. To check the speed of your vessel you should observe a celestial body on which bearing?
- a. 000°
- b. 056°
- c. 090°
- 7701: After transferring a weight forward on a vessel, the draft at the center of flotation will __________.
- a. change, depending on the location of the LCG
- b. increase
- c. decrease
d. remain constant
- 7725: Reserve buoyancy is the __________.
- 8222: Which will improve stability?
- a. Closing watertight doors
b. Pumping the bilges
- c. Loading cargo on deck
- d. Consuming fuel from a full tank
- 8355: What quality of a diesel fuel is most significant for efficient combustion?
- b. Viscosity
- c. Flash point
- d. Specific heat
- 8373: How does combustion air enter the cylinder of a two-cycle diesel engine?
- a. Cylinder head valves
- c. Turbo chargers
- d. Bleeder valves
- 8377: What factor is essential to the proper operation of a radiator cooled engine?
- 8405: The most serious effect of oxygen retained in a diesel engine jacket water cooling system is that it __________.
a. causes corrosion
- b. reduces the effectiveness of the coolant
- c. can form air pockets which exclude coolant contact with hot surfaces
- d. accelerates formation of hydrogen peroxide deposits
- 8407: If you are unable to stop a diesel engine by any other means, you should __________.
- 74: When operated over a muddy bottom, a fathometer may indicate __________.
- a. a shallow depth reading
- b. a zero depth reading
- c. no depth reading
d. two depth readings
- 77: When there are small differences between the heights of two successive high tides or two low tides, in a tidal day, the tides are called __________.
- a. diurnal
- c. solar
- d. mixed
- 84: When using an echo sounder in deep water, it is NOT unusual to __________.
- 85: Your longitude is 179°59'W. The LMT at this longitude is 23h 56m of the 4th day of the month. Six minutes later your position is 179°59'E longitude. Your LMT and date is now __________.
- a. 00h 02m on the 4th
- b. 00h 02m on the 5th
- c. 23h 50m on the 5th
d. 00h 02m on the 6th
- 94: When using a recording depth finder in the open ocean, what phenomena is most likely to produce a continuous trace that may not be from the actual ocean bottom?
- 95: The difference in local time between an observer on 114°W and one on 119°W is __________.
- a. 1.25 minutes
- b. 5 minutes
c. 20 minutes
- d. 75 minutes
- 97: The lunar or tidal day is __________.
- 115: The date is the same all over the world at __________.
- a. 0000 GMT
b. 1200 GMT
- c. 0000 LMT for an observer at 90°E longitude
- d. no time
- 121: A safe water mark may be __________.
- a. vertically striped
- b. spherical
- c. showing a white light
d. All of the above
- 123: If the radio signal ground wave extends out for less distance than the minimum skywave distance, there is an area in which no signal is received. This is called the __________.
a. skip zone
- b. blackout zone
- c. diffraction zone
- d. shadow zone
- 125: The GMT is 0445 and your zone description is +1. Your zone time is __________.
- a. 0445
- c. 0545
- d. 1545
- 132: The value of sixty nautical miles per degree of geodetic latitude is most correct at __________.
- a. the equator
b. latitude 45°
- c. the poles
- d. all latitudes
- 137: Priming of the tides occurs __________.
- 151: Under the U.S. Aids to Navigation System, spherical buoys may be __________.
- a. numbered
- c. lighted
- d. All of the above
- 154: Which factor has the greatest effect on the amount of gain required to obtain a fathometer reading?
- a. Salinity of water
- b. Temperature of water
- c. Atmospheric pressure
d. Type of bottom